Monday, May 23, 2011

little known tricks... and how forums don't cut it as a form of help.

ubuntuforums were filled with not only wrong information, but repeated the same wrong information over a period of two years.

The problem was a simple hole in VNC for Ubuntu that, if you have Compiz installed on an Nvidia card system - you'd have no mouse or keyboard. Three years went by, but ubuntu's crack forum teams couldn't figure it out.

The solution they said, after more than a year of winging it... was to turn off Compiz.

This guy had the right answer, and I'm posting this blog through exactly this same compiz/nvidia setup right now. It now works, thanks to TRS-80 guy/girl.

nswered Oct 2 '09 at 9:45
TRS-80

The answer? An obscure setting I hadn't viewed anywhere else using command line for gconftool-2, disable "xdamage."

Command Line:
[gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/remote_access/disable_xdamage true]

The above command I was able to execute using only SSH to the desktop, since my monitor has died some months ago. I'm only able to use that particular box with a projection screen I have had rigged for some time now, and it's nice to be able to save bulb life by using my laptop to access the server!

Ubuntu support? BUllshit! Ten Points from Griffendor.
http://superuser.com/ FIFTY POINTS.

Thank you, TRS-80 person. I used to own one too.

No comments: