Thursday, September 16, 2010

I was going to install Diaspora... but no.

It's using Ruby, a fragmented, often-incompatible system that I've rarely gotten anything to install on. The lack of "installers" for ruby projects is frustrating. This one requires rubygems to be one version higher than I see available! Do they have some hotline to Moscow?

Conflicting package requirements is par for the course with Ruby. I've never even used Rails yet because of this. I've tried on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Another common problem is the lack of packages even being available on some systems. I've seen windows installs require a package that doesn't run on windows. The Hell?

Sometimes I think Ruby on Rails is just a massive prank. One day maybe I'll get it to work, but I've got other priorities. Life. Programs that work. Normal stuff.

No comments: